Welcome to the Rhode Island School of Fly Fishing (RISFF) website. Our company is new having been formed in late 2015. Take a tour of our site and see what we offer, and click the CONTACT page to reach us with questions.
The school is owned and operated by Capt. Jim Barr and Capt. Bob Hines (both U.S. Coast Guard Captains). We provide individual and group instruction for beginner, intermediate and advanced fly anglers, and those who have never fly fished but who are interested in learning the sport. We provide a full range of classroom and field training in fly fishing, fly casting and fly tying in fresh and saltwater environments.
We are based in Newport, and Smithfield, RI and deliver our services in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Capt. Jim Barr is a Fly Fishers International (formerly known as the International Federation of Fly Fishers) Certified Fly Casting Instructor. Capt. Bob Hines is the lead fly casting instructor at the Addieville East Farms Club in Burrillville, RI. Staff members have extensive fly fishing experience in North, Central and South America and in other parts of the world. Our partners are officially retired from careers in business.
Captains Barr and Hines are licensed professional fresh and saltwater fishing guides operating our own guide services. RISFF is a unique fly fishing services company because not only do we possess extensive fly fishing experience in numerous and varied venues, but we also have significant experience training anglers as well as professionals in business.
To our knowledge there is no other fly fishing school in the country (independent or owned by fly fishing retailers) that offers the depth of fishing experience, training program diversity, attention to detail and instructor experience than what is provided at the Rhode Island School of Fly Fishing. Our programs are fully packed with valuable information with no "filler".
We deliver powerful training programs at very reasonable prices that provide a very strong value proposition for our customers.
Thanks for visiting our company's website,
Jim and Bob
- Fly Casting Instruction- Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced classes. Our staff incudes a Certified Fly Casting Instructor with Fly Fishers International (formerly known as the International Federation of Fly Fishers), as well the lead fly casting instructor at the Addieville East Farms Club.
- Fly Fishing Instruction- Fresh and Saltwater, Multiple Species, Classroom & On the Water, Tactics, Equipment, Entomology, Knots and much more
- Fly Tying Instruction- Fresh and Saltwater patterns, Professional and highly experienced tying instructors and fly pattern designers
- Presentations- Extensive inventory of topics for seminars on a full range of fresh and saltwater fly fishing venues
- Consulting- equipment, destinations and guides